25 Cheerful Facts about Czech Republic
Looking to boost your knowledge of this majestic and eclectic country? Take a look at these 25 interesting facts about Czech Republic!
- Czech Republic is a wondrous landlocked country in Central Europe.
- It is bordered by Poland to the northeast and east, Slovakia to the southeast, Austria to the south and Germany to the west and northwest.
- To sip some delicious beer at the base of the stunning mountains, head for the coordinates of 49.7500° N, 15.7500° E to land yourself in Czech Republic!
- The terrain here is a delightful mix of rolling plains, hills and mountains – sublime!
- The total land area of Czech Republic is 30,450 square miles (78,866 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly the same size as Scotland.
- Czech Republic’s population was 10,644,842 in 2015…
- …that’s double the population of Scotland!
- Residents here are known as Czech, the plural for which is Czechs!
- The capital is Prague; an architecturally-rich city, it covers an area of 192 square miles (496 square kilometres) and had a population of 1,314,000 in 2015.
- Czechs enjoy a temperate climate with cool summers, followed by cold and cloudy winters.
- Once a part of the former Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic and Slovakia became two separate countries in 1991.
- Despite being owned by the German Volkswagen-Audi Group, Skoda is based in Czech Republic. Interestingly, although it is owned by the large German group, Skoda is actually the oldest company of the four (including Seat) by quite some margin, having been established in 1895!
- Czech Republic boasts the largest ancient castle in the world! Built over 49 years and occupying an area of almost 70,000 square metres, Prague Castle is one of Czech Republic’s most beautiful and imposing buildings!
- Charles University of Prague is one of the oldest universities in Europe, having been founded in 1348!
- Apparently, it is possible to see the Eiffel Tower from Prague on a clear day!
- The official language of Czech Republic is Czech.
- Czech Koruna is the official currency here.
- The average life span here is 78 years.
- Czechs love beer! They each consume an average of 143 litres of beer per year, more than any other country in the world!
- Do you wear contact lenses? Well you’ve got Otto Wichterle, a Czech chemist to thank, as he invented them in 1959!
- Allegedly, Czechs use their toes to count if they run out of fingers!
- Looking forward to Christmas dinner? Well you’ll be in for a surprise! In Czech Republic it is traditional to purchase a live carp and allow it to swim around in your bath for 1-2 days, before it becomes part of the Christmas feast!
- Czech Republic grows potatoes, wheat, hops and sugar beets; they also rear pigs.
- Its industry consists of metallurgy, motor vehicles, machinery and equipment, armaments and glass.
- The main exports consist of machinery and transport equipment, chemicals, raw materials, fuel and intermediate manufactures.