They’re some of the cutest, most majestic creatures around, but how much do you really know about them? Perhaps it will blow your mind to learn there’s more than a dozen fun facts no one else has told you about them…
- Horses don’t just sleep lying down, they can also do it standing up!
- They can run within a few hours of being born.
- The average domestic horse will live for up to 25 years.
- Old Billy was said to have lived to the age of 62 back in the Victorian era.
- Horses have 205 bones — nearly as many as we do!
- They were first domesticated more than 5,000 years ago by some rather adventurous hunters.
- Horses may often look like they’re laughing, but they’re actually analysing the smells around them.
- Horses’ eyes work best when they’re looking at yellows and greens.
- And they work worst when purples and violets are in front of them.
- A horse’s teeth occupy a greater volume than their brains!
- Male horses have 4 extra teeth than their partners, giving them a grand total of 40.
- Lord Bentinck grew tired of trying to get his horses to the race track, so he invented the horse boxes you still see to this day.
- In the 50 years from 1870 horse numbers more than tripled.
- Horses can see in almost every direction at the same time.
- They can even show their feelings by using facial expressions formed using their ears, mouth and nostrils.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about horses you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Animals & Nature' Facts