Take a look at these 22 interesting facts about Monaco to boost your local knowledge!
- Monaco is an independent Principality on the French Mediterranean coastline.
- It is bordered only by France to the north and west and has a coastline along the Mediterranean Sea to the south and east.
- Fancy mooring your new yacht in Monaco’s famous harbour? Head for the coordinates of 43.7328° N, 7.4197°
- The terrain here is hilly, rocky and rugged with stunning views as you head down to the coastline!
- The total land area of Monaco is 0.78 square miles (2.02 square kilometres)…
Flag of Monaco
- …that’s only 1.5 times the size of Hyde Park in London!
- Did you know that despite its small size, it’s not the smallest country in the world? It’s actually the 2nd smallest country, after Vatican City!
- Monaco’s population was 38,682 in 2018…
- …that’s around the same population as Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire.
- It also makes it the most densely populated country in the world!
- Ever wondered what to call residents of Monaco? They’re known as Monegasques or Monacans!
- The capital is Monaco-Ville; it’s actually one of 4 neighbourhoods in Monaco and covers an area of 0.07 square miles (0.18 square kilometres) and had a population of 985 in 2008.
- Monegasques enjoy a mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. Lovely!
- In fact, there are more than 300 days of sunshine in an average year in Monaco! Lucky so and so’s!
Super car driving in Monte Carlo
- The official language of Monaco is French, although English and Italian are also widely spoken.
- Every year since 1955, the streets of Monaco have played host to one of the most coveted and glamorous Formula One races! However, this wasn’t the first road race Monaco staged; the first ever race around Monaco was held on 14th April 1929, long before the Formula One World Championship was formed.
- As a member of the EU, the Euro is the official currency here.
- Monaco is not only one of the richest countries per capita in the world, but it also has one of the lowest unemployment rates and more billionaires per capita than any other country!
- The average life span here is 79 glamorous years.
- Monaco does not grow any commercial crops as there simply is not enough space to do so!
- Its industry consists of tourism, banking, construction and small scale industrial and consumer products.
- Monaco doesn’t export anything as there isn’t anything made or grown here on a large enough scale to export!
Do you have any interesting facts about Monaco you could share here? Let us know them in the comments section below!