Skip to content
Is your local knowledge spot on or do you need a refresher? Take a look through our 21 interesting facts about Romania and learn something new today!
- Home to Dracula(!), Romania is a beautiful country in Central Europe.
- It is bordered by Ukraine to the north and east, Moldova to the east, Bulgaria to the south, Serbia and Montenegro to the southwest and Hungary to the northwest. It also has a coastline along the Black Sea to the southeast.
- Are your friends fans of the Dracula stories or do they love trekking through wonderful scenery? Tell them to head for the coordinates of 44.4167° N, 26.1000° E and join you in a Romanian adventure!
- The terrain here is an incredible mix of mountains and forests, with a central basin.
- The total land area of Romania is 92,043 square miles (238,391 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around the same as the entire area of the UK.
- Romania’s population was 21.67 million in 2013…
- …that’s around one third of the population of England!
- The capital is Bucharest; it covers an area of 88 square miles (228 square kilometres) and had a population of 1.87 million in 2015.
- Did you know that the Romanian Palace of Parliament in Bucharest is the largest parliamentary building in the world?
- In 2002, a cave in Romania was found to contain the bones of humans that were alive 40,000 years ago!
- Timisoara was the first mainland European city to be lit by electric street lights in 1884!
- Romanians enjoy a temperate climate with warm, wet summers and cold, cloudy winters with frequent snow.
- The official language of Romania is… Romanian! Although Hungarian and German are also spoken here.
- Romania is apparently the 9th largest wine producer in the world!
- Romanian Leu is the currency you’ll need to sample the local wine.
- The invention of the fountain pen is credited to Petrache Poenaru, a Romanian born inventor, don’t cha know?
- The average life span here is 71 years.
- Romania grows wheat, corn, barley and sugar beets and they also produce eggs here.
- Its industry consists of textiles, footwear, mining, timber, light machinery and car assembly.
- Romania also exports textiles, footwear, metals, metal products, machinery and equipment, minerals and fuels.