- Namibia is a sub-Saharan country in south-west Africa.
- It shares a border with Angola to the north, Botswana and Zimbabwe to the east and South Africa to the south. The Atlantic Ocean sits to the west of the country.
- Namibia’s population was 2.534 million in 2017.
- This sparsely populated country has an area of 318,261 square miles (824,292 square kilometres).
- The capital city is called Windhoek; it covers an area of 249 square miles (645 square kilometres) and has a population of 322,500 (2014).
Flag of Namibia
- The coordinates for this hot desert country are 22.5700° S, 17.0861°
- The terrain here is mostly high plateau with the Namib Desert on the western coastline and the Kalahari Desert in the east.
- At over 55 million years old, the Namib Desert is the oldest desert in the world!
- The Welwitschia Mirabilis can be found in the Namib Desert – an incredible plant that can live for over 1,000 years!
- Namibia has a desert climate with hot, dry weather and sporadic rainfall.
- The average life expectancy here is 64.39 years (2016).
- With an incredible length of 161km, width of 27km and depth of 550m, Fish River Canyon is the 2nd largest canyon in the world after the Grand Canyon.
- Watch out! Namibia has the largest population of free-roaming Cheetahs in the world!
- Amazingly, Namibia is reportedly home to the largest single piece of meteor on Earth! It weighs an incredible 66 tonnes!
- The currency of Namibia is the Namibian Dollar, which is linked to the South African Rand and thus maintains the same value.
Deadvlei, Namib-Naukluft National Park, Namibia
- Namibia is home to Dragon’s Breath Cave; only discovered in 1986 by explorers, it is home to the world’s largest underground non-subglacial lake! It also happens to be the only place on Earth where the endangered species Golden Cave Catfish live!
- The official language of Namibia is English! Nice and easy…
- They grow millet, peanuts and sorghum, rear livestock and catch fish.
- The country’s industry consists of meat packing, fish processing, dairy products and mining
- Namibia exports copper, gold, diamonds, lead and zinc.
- The international dialling code for Namibia is +264.
Do you know any fun, strange or interesting facts about Namibia? Share them with us in the comments section below!