Learn some interesting facts about the countries of the world and impress your friends with these 21 fun and interesting facts about Cambodia
- Cambodia is a small, forest-rich country in South East Asia.
- It shares a border with Thailand to the northwest and north, to the northeast and Vietnam to the east and southeast. It also has a coastline along the Gulf of Thailand to the west and southwest
- This stunning country has an area of 69,898 square miles (181,035 square kilometres).
- The international dialling code for Cambodia is +855.
- Cambodia’s population was 16.25 million in 2018.
Flag of Cambodia
- The capital city is called Phnom Penh; it covers an area of 261.9 square miles (678.5 square kilometres) and has a population of 1.5 million (2012).
- The terrain here is mostly low, flat plains with mountains situated in the southwest and north.
- Apparently, in rural areas electricity is only supplied to households between the hours of 6.30pm to 9.30pm whilst local businesses and hotels rely more on generator power.
- For a leisurely walk along an idyllic beach or an exploration into ancient monuments and cultures, head for the coordinates 11.5500° N, 104.9167° E for a Cambodian adventure!
- Cambodia enjoys a tropical climate with little temperature variation. There is a monsoon season from May to November and a dry season from December to April.
- This country would seem to be full of residents who are not of a squeamish disposition because tarantula kebab (!) is considered a delicacy here, amongst many other creepy crawly dishes!
- The average life expectancy here is 68.98 years (2016).
- Whilst visiting Cambodia, make sure your feet are always tucked underneath you whilst sitting, as it is considered rude for your soles to point towards others.
- You must not touch people’s heads in Cambodia either, because it is regarded as the highest part of the body and must not be touched, even in the kindest manner.
- There are nearly as many mopeds in Phnom Penh than people, so watch out when you cross the road!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- To indulge in some incredible local delicacies including fresh coconut water, straight from the coconut, you’ll need some Cambodian Riel, the local currency. Interestingly though, US Dollars are also widely accepted here and are issued at ATM’s!
- Khmer is the official language of Cambodia, although French and English are also spoken.
- Did you know, the Cambodian flag is the only flag in the world to feature a building?
- Cambodia grows rice, rubber, vegetables and corn.
- The country’s industry consists of tourism, rice milling, fishing, garments, wood and wood products.
- Cambodia exports timer, rubber, rice, fish and garments.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about Cambodia? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Asia' Facts