Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 16 facts about Reykjavík!
1. Reykjavík is the capital city of Iceland.
2. Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced “Reh-key-ah-vik”.
3. The total land area of Reykjavík is 105 square miles (273 square kilometres)…
4. …that’s nearly three times the size of Liverpool.
5. Reykjavík’s population was 130,345 in 2015…
6. …that’s less than 1/3 of the population of Liverpool…
7. …and gives it a population density of around 1,241 residents per square mile.
8. Reykjavík is located 129 ft above sea level.
9. Residents of Reykjavík are known as Icelanders.
10. Icelanders living in Reykjavík enjoy a sub-polar oceanic climate with little temperature variation and an average annual temperature of just 4.3°C!
11. Looking to fly yourself to Reykjavík? You’ll need the coordinates of 64.1265° N, 21.8174° W.
12. Make sure you head to Seltjarnarnes if you’re in Reykjavík; it provides a spectacular viewpoint for the Northern Lights, thanks to the reduced light pollution.
13. The official language in Reykjavík is Icelandic.
14. Did you know that Reykjavík means ‘smokey bay’ thanks to its natural geysers and geothermal springs!
15. Icelandic Krona is the official currency here.
16. Iceland welcomed 400,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Reykjavík for its wild nightlife, superb museums and beautiful architecture.