There’s still such an air of mystery surrounding King David. That is, until now. Here’s more than a dozen facts about King David that will ensure you never look at history in quite the same way again!
- He was Israel’s second king and established Jerusalem as his capital.
- During his life he conquered Jerusalem as he set out to build an enduring empire.
- He destroyed the Philistines and their culture so they would never threaten him again.
- King David is portrayed as both a hero and a villain in various parts of the bible.
- It’s not known whether he actually killed the giant Goliath.
- He is said to have been obsessed with dating the wives of other men.
- The Book of Chronicles censored his life story to avoid controversy.
- King David was the youngest of 8 children.
- “Speak truth to power” comes from officials confronting him over his infidelity.
- His sons would go to war against one another after his death.
- Jewish tradition claims he never died and is alive to this day.
- He had an affair with Bathsheba — mother of King Solomon.
- David was well known as singer in his time.
- Samuel chose him to be king of all Israel.
- This was quite the promotion given he started his career as a humble shepherd!
Do you know any interesting facts about King David? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Related 'History' Facts