It’s long been touted as one of the healthiest parts of the world, but why? Well, the secret lies in the local, highly acclaimed Mediterranean diet, so isn’t it about time you took a closer look at exactly why it’s so special? Here’s all the facts you need to know to get started…
- Regular followers of the Mediterranean diet report less chronic pain than any other diet.
- The fresh fish, nuts, and beans that are staple parts of the diet have proven anti-inflammatory properties.
- People who follow a Mediterranean diet are 47% less likely to develop heart disease.
- A study of 5,000 women spanning nearly 25 years found that the diet halves your risk of uterine cancer.
- If you dress your food with olive oil you can reduce the risk of breast cancer by 68%.
- The U.S. public voted it the easiest healthy diet to follow.
- Mediterranean diet fans will tell you to leave the 5 fruit and veg a day and aim for 7-10 instead!
- The oils in nuts and olives will nourish your brain and help you maintain focus for longer.
- The diet started to be widely publicised in the 1950s by Ancel Keys who had noticed low levels of heart disease in the region.
- Whole grains and avoiding processed foods are some of the key building blocks for the Mediterranean diet.
- 20 countries border the Mediterranean with each one adding it’s on tasty creations to the mix.
- The diet has been linked with low rates of type 2 diabetes.
- The emphasis on healthy fats can help soothe inflammation that occurs naturally throughout the body.
- Mediterranean food has a lower carbon footprint than many primarily meat-based diets.
- Only 10% of local crop varieties are still grown today, largely as a result of the move towards the mass marketing of the diet all around the world.
Do you know any interesting facts about the Mediterranean diet that we’ve not mentioned? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Food & Drink' Facts