Skip to content
Looking to boost your local knowledge? Take a look at these 23 interesting facts about Brunei!
- Brunei is a tiny country consisting of two distinct sections on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia.
- It is bordered solely by Malaysia to the west, east and south. It also has a coastline along the South China Sea to the north.
- To enjoy the stunning sandy beaches or beautiful towns and cities for yourself, head for the coordinates of 4.8903° N, 114.9422° E to explore Brunei.
- The terrain here is largely covered in jungle, with flat coastal plains rising to mountains in the east and hilly lowlands in the west.
- The total land area of Brunei is 2,226 square miles (5,765 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly larger than Norfolk.
- Brunei’s population was 429,646 in 2015…
- …that’s around half the population of Norfolk!
- Residents here are known as Bruneians.
- The capital is Bandar Seri Begawan; it covers an area of 39 square miles (100 square kilometres) and had a population of 241,000 in 2011.
- Bruneians enjoy a tropical climate with hot, humid and often rainy weather.
- The official language of Brunei is Malay, although English and Chinese are also spoken here.
- Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei, reportedly has a collection of more than 5,000 cars!
- The same royal family have ruled Brunei for more than 600 years!
- After almost 100 years of protectorship, Brunei gained independence from Great Britain in 1984.
- Brunei Dollar is the official currency here.
- Apparently it is considered rude to point with your finger in Brunei, instead you must point with your thumb!
- The average life span here is 77 years.
- Citizens of Brunei pay no income tax! Despite this, healthcare and education are free!
- It is illegal to drink alcohol in public in Brunei.
- Brunei grows vegetables, rice and fruits; they also rear chickens.
- Its industry consists of petroleum, petroleum refining, construction and liquified natural gas.
- The main exports consist of natural gas, crude oil and refined products.