Before you set off to see the Northern Lights, take a look at these 21 interesting facts about Greenland!
- Greenland is a Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.
- Its nearest neighbours are Canada to the west, Svalbard to the east and Norway, Iceland, United Kingdom and Ireland to the southeast.
- To land your ship or plane on the beautiful island of Greenland, head for the coordinates 72.0000° N, 40.0000° W.
- Roughly 80% of the terrain here is flat to rolling icecap, whilst the remaining 20% features a mountainous, rocky coast.
- The total land area of Greenland is 836,330 square miles (2,166,086 square kilometres)…
Flag of Greenland
- …that’s almost 9 times the size of the UK!
- It also makes Greenland the world’s largest island!
- Greenland’s population was 56,025 in 2018…
- …that’s less than 0.1% of the UK population!
- That also makes it the least densely populated country in the world!
- Residents here are known as Greenlanders.
- The capital is Nuuk; it covers an area of 266 square miles (690 square kilometres) and had a population of 17,000 in 2014.
- Greenlanders experience an arctic to sub-arctic climate with cool summers and cold winters.
- Amazingly, there are no roads between towns in Greenland. Instead, transportation is by either boat or plane!
- It is possible to witness the Northern Lights on clear evenings throughout the year!
- The official language of Greenland is… Greenlandic! Danish and English are also spoken here.
- Danish Krone is the official currency here.
- The average life span here is 72 years.
- Greenland rears sheep, reindeer and cattle and they also catch fish. No commercial crops are grown here due to the icecap and weather conditions.
- Its industry consists of fish processing, mining, hides and handicrafts.
- Greenland exports fish, fish products and metals.
Do you know any interesting, fun or amazing facts about Greenland? Share them here in the comments section below!
Related 'Geography' Facts