Learn some interesting facts about the countries of the world, impress your friends and increase your chances at the next pub quiz with these 19 fun and interesting facts about Taiwan!
- Taiwan is a small island nation in East Asia.
- Its nearest countries are China to the west and north west, South Korea and Japan to the north east, Philippines to the south and Vietnam to the south west.
- Taiwan is considered by some countries as an independent nation, and by others, a territory of China. Rather peculiar!
- Want to call your family or friends in Taiwan? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +886
- The coordinates for Taiwan are 23.5000° N, 121.0000°
Flag of Taiwan
- The terrain here is mostly rugged mountains in the east and centre, with flat/rolling plains in the west.
- The total land area of Taiwan is 13,974 square miles (36,193 square kilometres).
- Taiwan’s population was 23.78 million in 2018.
- The capital is Taipei City (not to be confused with New Taipei City which surrounds it) which covers an area of 104.9 square miles (271.7 square kilometres) and has a population of 2.6 million (2014).
- The average life span here is 80.4 years (2018). 77.2 years for men and 83.7 years for women.
- In Taiwanese schools, the teachers move from class to class rather than the students to stop lingering in hallways and reduce time!
- Unlike in the west, where brides wear white and funeral goers wear black, in Taiwan white is historically worn to a funeral and red at a wedding, although this is slowly changing as the country becomes more westernised.
- The residents of Taiwan enjoy a tropical marine climate, with a monsoon season from June to August.
- Interestingly, Baseball is the national sport of Taiwan!
- The official language of Taiwan is Standard Mandarin.
Raohe Night Market, Taipei, Taiwan
- New Taiwan Dollar is the official currency here, make sure you take some with you to purchase your Bubble Tea!
- Taiwan grows rice, vegetables, fruit, flowers and tea, rears pigs and poultry and catches fish.
- Its industry consists of electronics, communications and IT products, chemicals, textiles, petroleum refining, iron and steel, vehicles, pharmaceuticals, cement, food processing, machinery and consumer products – quite a broad spectrum!
- Taiwan also exports petrochemicals, ships, automotive parts, electronics, steel, plastics, computers and wireless communication equipment.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about Taiwan? Let us know in the comments section below!