19 Crazy Facts about Central African Republic
- Formerly part of French Equatorial Africa, Central African Republic is a small landlocked country in central Africa.
- Central African Republic gained independence from France in 1960.
- It is bordered by Chad to the north, Sudan to the northeast, South Sudan to the east, Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Republic of the Congo to the south and Cameroon to the west.
- The coordinates for Central African Republic are 4.3667° N, 18.5833°
- The international dialling code for Central African Republic is +236.
Flag of Central African Republic
- The terrain here is mostly flat or rolling plateau with hills in the northeast and southwest. Perfect for exploring!
- The total land area of Central African Republic is 240,535 square miles (622,984 square kilometres).
- Central African Republic’s population was 4.659 million in 2017.
- Residents here are known as ‘Central Africans’.
- The capital is Bangui; it covers an area of 26 square miles (67.3 square kilometres) and has a population of 734,350 (2012).
- The average life expectancy here is 52.17 years (2016).
- The climate in Central African Republic is tropical with hot, dry winters and mild to hot, wet summers. We like it hot!
- Wildlife enthusiasts we be interested to know that Central African Republic is home to several endemic species including the Oubangui Mouse, the Skink (a snake like reptile), the Sangha Forest Robin and the Sternfield River Frog!
- The official languages of Central African Republic are French and Sango (a Ngbandi based creole), although Arabic and tribal languages are also spoken.
- In 2008, National Geographic published an article stating that Central African Republic was the country least affected by light pollution.
- The Central African Franc (CFA) is the official currency here.
- The hot climate is perfect for growing tobacco, coffee, cotton, peanuts, millet, maize, sesame, plantain and tapioca and producing timber.
- The industry here consists of diamond mining, brewing, logging and textiles.
- Central African Republic also exports diamonds, coffee, cotton, timber and tobacco.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about the Central African Republic? Share them here in the comments section at the bottom of this page!