18 Marvellous Facts about Malaysia
- Malaysia is a beautiful country made up of two main islands in south-east Asia.
- Peninsular Malaysia (West Malaysia) shares a border with Thailand to the north and a coastline along the South China Sea to the east and the Strait of Malacca to the west. Malaysian Borneo (East Malaysia) shares a border with Brunei to the north and Indonesia to the south. It also has a coastline along the South China Sea to the north, the Sulu Sea to the north-east and the Celebes Sea to the east.
- This stunning country has an area of 127,355 square miles (329,847 square kilometres).
- Malaysia’s population was 31.62 million in 2017.
- The capital city is called Kuala Lumpur; it covers an area of 94 square miles (243 square kilometres) and has a population of 1.808 million (2017).
- The terrain here is a mix of coastal plains and mountain regions, with luscious forests and incredible sandy beaches.
- To head for sun, sand and spas, type in the coordinates of 3.1333° N, 101.7000° E for your Malaysian expedition!
- If you have a penchant for scuba diving and marine life, head over to Sipadan Island which is considered to be one of the best diving spots in the world! We want to go!
Flag of Malaysia
- Malaysia is home to the largest cave chamber in the world! Sarawak Chamber is found in Gunung Mulu National Park and measures an incredible 700 metres long, 400 metres wide and 100 metres tall!
- Residents here enjoy a tropical climate with monsoon seasons from April to October in the south-west and October to February in the north-east.
- The average life expectancy here is 75.3 culturally enriched years (2016).
- Should you choose to explore this fascinating country, you’ll need to exchange your money for some Ringgit, the currency of Malaysia.
- If like us, you dream of sunning yourself on a gloriously sunny and sandy beach sipping a delicious cocktail then you won’t be disappointed if you visit Malaysia! There is over 4,600 kilometres of stunning coastline to explore so get packing!
- Malaysian is the official language of Malaysia, although many other languages are spoken including English, Chinese and Thai!
- They grow cacao and rice and produce rubber and palm oil.
- The country’s industry consists of rubber and oil palm processing and manufacturing, logging, light manufacturing industry and petroleum production and refining.
- Malaysia exports petroleum, electronic equipment, liquefied natural gas, palm oil, wood and wood products.
- The international dialling code for Malaysia is +60.
Related 'Asia' Facts