16 Notable Facts About Nicosia
Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 16 facts about Nicosia!
- Nicosia is the capital city of Cyprus.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Nik-oh-see-ah.
- The total land area of Nicosia is 43 square miles (111 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly the same size as Belfast.
- Nicosia’s population was 251,000 in 2014…
- …that’s around half the population of Belfast…
- …and gives it a population density of around 5,837 residents per square mile.
- Nicosia is located 720 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Nicosia are known as Cypriots.
- Cypriots living in Nicosia enjoy a subtropical hot semi-arid climate with long, hot and dry summers and an average annual temperature of 19.7°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Nicosia? You’ll need the coordinates of 35.1667° N, 33.3667° E to get there.
- Make sure you visit the local markets if you’re in Nicosia; there are several traditional markets to choose from with a huge array of colours, smells and sounds to nurture your senses.
- The official language of Nicosia is Greek.
- Euro is the official currency here.
- Nicosia has become a popular health tourism destination over the past few years, thanks to the wide range of contemporary services and alternative therapies on offer for a competitive price.
- Cyprus welcomed 2,405,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Nicosia for its incredible architecture and ancient Venetian walls!