16 Cool Facts about Castries
Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 16 interesting facts about Castries!
- Castries is the capital city of Saint Lucia.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Kas-trees.
- The total land area of Castries is 31 square miles (79 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly 3.5 times smaller than the Borough of Guildford.
- Castries’ population was 22,000 in 2014…
- …that’s around 6 times less than the population of the Borough of Guildford…
- …and gives it a population density of around 710 residents per square mile.
- Castries is located 7 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Castries are known as Saint Lucians.
- Saint Lucians living in Castries enjoy a tropical climate with little year round temperature variation and an average annual temperature of 29°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Castries? You’ll need the coordinates of 14.0167° N, 60.9833° W.
- Make sure you visit the fruit and vegetable market if you’re in Castries; it’s a highly popular, vibrant and colourful market, complete with huge piles of fresh fruit, ornate local crafts and invigorating spices!
- Castries unfortunately suffered 4 major fires between 1796 and 1948, wiping out many of the beautiful wooden buildings.
- The official language of Castries is English.
- East Caribbean Dollar is the official currency here.
- Saint Lucia welcomed 319,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Castries for its crystal clear waters, beautiful weather and stunning architecture.
Related 'Capital Cities' Facts