Located in the middle of the USA, Nebraska is home to numerous small towns and vast stretches of farmland, and is home to the inventor of 9-1-1, the emergency communication system and Kool-Aid, here are 15 interesting facts about Nebraska you should know.
- The capital of the state of Nebraska is Lincoln. Founded in 1856, it is the second-most populous city in the state.
- At an elevation of 1,655 meters (5429 feet) above sea level, the Panorama Point is the highest point in the state.
- The largest mammoth skeleton in the world on display is located in the University of Nebraska State Museum (also known locally as Elephant Hall or Morrill Hall). Known as Archie, this mammoth is a giant among giants standing at an extraordinary 4.3 meters (14 feet).
- In 1927, the popular drink Kool-Aid was invented in Hastings, Nebraska by Edwin Perkins. Although initially named “Kool-Ade”, it was later renamed to its current name in 1934.
State flag of Nebraska
- The state of Nebraska was once known as the “The Great American Dessert”.
- The 9-1-1 system of emergency communication was first developed and used in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- The Nebraska Cornhuskers’ football stadium is able to hold more than 90,000 people. It becomes the 3rd most populated place in the state during game day.
- Warren Buffett, one of the most famous billionaires in the world, lives in Omaha, Nebraska. He is also known as the “Oracle of Omaha” or “Wizard of Omaha” among the locals.
- A law created in Lehigh, Nebraska back in the late 1800s banned merchants from selling doughnut holes. One of the lawmakers claimed that doughnut holes were a waste and that bakers were trying to make an undue profit by selling the middle of the doughnut. Fortunately, the law repealed in the late 1990s. However, these round treats are still hard to come by in Lehigh.
- Nebraska is among the bottom 3rd in terms of the country’s most populated states. It is also one of the least densely populated states, with most of its residents (from 1.8 million) living in rural communities.
- The largest weight room in the U.S. is located in the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. It covers a massive ¾ of an acre. There’s more than enough space for the football team to get a good workout in!
Do you know any interesting facts about Nebraska? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Related 'North America' Facts