24 Sensational Facts About Singapore
Impress your friends and family with your vast local knowledge of Asia with these 24 interesting facts about Singapore!
- Singapore is an island city-state in Asia.
- Despite being a city-state, Singapore also includes more than 60 islets, although most of these are uninhabited.
- Its nearest neighbours are Malaysia to the north and Indonesia to the east, south and west.
- To explore this wonderful country and all that it has to offer, head for the coordinates of 1.3000° N, 103.8000° E.
- The terrain here is low lying and gently undulating.
- The total land area of Singapore is 278 square miles (719 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around the same size as Anglesey.
- Singapore’s population was 5,674,472 in 2015…
- …that’s more than 80 times the population of Anglesey!
- That also makes Singapore one of the most densely populated countries in the world with more than 20,000 people per square mile!
- Residents here are known as Singaporeans.
- As a city-state, Singapore is both the country and the capital.
- Singaporeans enjoy a tropical climate with little temperature variation and two monsoon seasons; the northeastern monsoon season is from December to March, whilst the southwestern monsoon season runs from June to September.
- The lowest temperature ever recorded in Singapore was 19.4°C in 1934!
- Singapore boasts the world’s first nocturnal zoo, where it is possible to go on night safari to fully immerse yourself in the world of nocturnal animals!
- The Fountain of Wealth in Singapore is the largest fountain in the world and reportedly cost US$6 million!
- You are not allowed to build a structure higher than 280m in Singapore due to the low-flying air traffic.
- The official languages of Singapore are English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil.
- If you hope to buy a Singapore Sling (an alcoholic cocktail) or a couple of jars of Coconut jam whilst in Singapore, you’ll need to exchange your GBP for Singapore Dollars – the official currency here.
- Singaporeans live for an average of 85 years.
- Not sure what the words of the national anthem are? They can be found on the back of each S$1000 note!
- Singapore grows fruit, copra, rubber and orchids; they also rear poultry.
- Its industry consists of chemicals, electronics, oil drilling equipment, petroleum refining and financial services.
- Singapore exports machinery and equipment, chemicals, consumer goods and mineral fuels.