- Uruguay is a warm and sunny country in South America.
- It is bordered by Argentina to the west and Brazil to the north and east. It also has a coastline along the Atlantic Ocean to the east, south and west.
- The international dialling code for Uruguay is +598
- The coordinates for Uruguay are 34.8833° S, 56.1667°
- The terrain here consists mostly of picturesque rolling plains and low hills.
Flag of Uruguay
- The total land area of Uruguay is 68,037 square miles (176,215 square kilometres).
- Uruguay’s population was 3.449 million in 2018.
- The capital is called Montevideo and it covers an area of 203 square miles (526 square kilometres) and has a population of 1.381 million (2017).
- The average life span here is 77.49 years (2016)
- Uruguayans enjoy a warm temperate climate with generally warm and dry weather throughout the year. We’re off, are you coming?
- Uruguay is the only country in Latin America which is entirely outside the tropics!
- It’s also the second smallest country in South America; Suriname is the smallest.
- As is common in South American countries, the official language of Uruguay is Spanish.
- The Uruguayan Peso is the official currency here.
- With almost half of the population not following any religion, Uruguay has renamed many of its catholic public holidays; for instance, Christmas is known locally as ‘Family Day’!
Atlántida Departamento de Canelones, Uruguay
- In order to combat drug trafficking, Uruguay was the first nation to legalise the cultivation of marijuana at home… we wonder if sales of Bob Marley albums rose at the same time?
- The first ever FIFA World Cup took place in Uruguay in 1930, which Uruguay also happened to win!
- Uruguay has the longest national anthem in the world! Sung in full it often lasts for around 6 minutes!
- Uruguay grows wheat, corn, barley and rice, rears livestock, catches fish and produces dairy products.
- Its industry consists of food processing, vehicle manufacturing, electrical machinery, petroleum products and transportation equipment.
- Uruguay also exports rice, meat, fish, wool, leather products and vehicles.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about Uruguay? Share them with us in the comments section below!