Want to learn a little more about the countries of the world? Take a look at these 21 interesting facts about Colombia!
- Colombia is a beautiful country on the northern tip of South America.
- It shares a border with Panama to the north-west, Venezuela and Brazil to the east and Ecuador and Peru to the south.
- This incredible country has an area of 440,831 square miles (1,141,748 square kilometres).
- Colombia’s population was 49.07 million in 2017.
- The capital city is called Bogota; it covers an area of 612.7 square miles (1,587 square kilometres) and has a population of 8.7 million (2011).
Flag of Colombia
- At 8660ft (2640m) above sea level, Bogota also happens to be the 4th highest capital city in the world!
- The terrain here is a mixture of flat coastal lowlands, with highlands and the famous Andes Mountains inland.
- It’s the only country in South America to have a coastline along both the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.
- The coordinates for Colombia are 4.5833° N, 74.0667°
- Colombia enjoys a tropical climate along its vast coastline and eastern plains, with the temperature dropping slightly in the highlands further inland.
- The average life expectancy here is 74.38 years (2016).
- Colombia is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, with 314 types of eco systems!
- Bird watchers unite! Colombia is home to over 1,900 species of bird!
- The world’s most colourful river, Caño Cristales is in Colombia. You really must visit this incredible river to experience the vibrant colours created by its diverse flora and fauna.
- When collecting your spending money, remember the currency of Colombia is the Colombian Peso.
El Peñón de Guatapé, Colombia
- Colombia is home to over 300 beaches, meaning you’ll never be short of options to to relax and get a tan!
- Even better, Colombia doesn’t have a winter – it’s permanently summer here so pack your sun cream!
- Spanish is the official language of Colombia.
- Colombians grow coffee beans, bananas, rice and flowers, catch shrimp and produce forest products.
- The country’s industry consists of textiles, clothing, footwear, food processing and oil.
- Colombia exports coffee, petroleum, coal, bananas, clothing and cut flowers.
- The international dialling code for this diverse country is +57.
Do you have any interesting or fun facts about Colombia? Share them with us in the comments section below!