- Reunion Island is a small French overseas territory in the Indian Ocean.
- The nearest neighbouring countries are Seychelles to the north, Mauritius to the north east and Madagascar to the west.
- For a wonderful experience of mountain climbing and snorkelling alongside dolphins, head for the coordinates of Reunion which are 21.1144° S, 55.5325°
- Want to call your friends in Reunion? You’ll need to use the international dialling code of +262.
- The terrain here is a delightful mix of coastal lowlands, with inland mountains and it even features an active volcano!
- The total land area of Reunion is a cosy 969.9 square miles (2,512 square kilometres).
- Reunion’s population was 866,506 in 2019.
- The capital is Saint-Denis, which covers an area of 4.8 square miles (12.4 square kilometres) and has a population of 146,985 (2015).
- The average life span here is an impressive 76.4 years.
- Piton de la Fournaise is an active volcano on the eastern side of La Reunion; it has erupted on more than 100 occasions since 1640!
- The climate of Reunion is tropical, although the precipitation levels vary wildly throughout the island. Despite its small stature, the eastern side of the island can experience 6 times more rain than the western side! Incredible!
- Animal lovers will feel right at home in Reunion, especially those who favour creatures of the sea. Perfect for scuba diving, off the coral-rich shores it is possible to watch parrot fish, sea turtles, dolphins and even humpback whales!
- Did you know, Reunion was part of the British Empire from 1810 to 1815?
- The official language of Reunion is French, although Reunion Creole is a widely spoken native language.
- Despite being located next to Africa in the Indian Ocean, Reunion is a ‘Special Member State’ of the European Union, due to being a French overseas territory!
- As part of the EU, Euro is the official currency here.
- Reunion culture is a varied mix of other cultures, influenced by Africa, Europe, China and India. The local food and drink showcases a similar influence from each individual culture.
- Reunion grows sugar, vanilla, fruits and vegetables, catches fish and produces rum. Delicious!
- Its industry consists of tourism, sugar, rum, handicrafts and flower oil extraction.
- Reunion exports sugar, rum, vanilla and seafood.
What is Reunion best known for?
La Reunion is probably most famous for its volcanic mountains, rainforest, beautiful waterfalls and tropical beaches.
How big is the island of Reunion?
1560 miles² or 2,512 km²
What is the currency of Reunion?
What language is spoken in Reunion?
How far is Reunion from Mauritius?
Distance from Mauritius to Reunion is 226 kilometers. The distance as the crow flies from Mauritius to Reunion is 140 miles or 225 kilometres. Flying in a commercial jet from Mauritius to Reunion usually takes about 30 minutes.