Everybody dreams. Some people have pleasant dreams. Other people are frequently assaulted by nightmares. Some people sleep so deeply that they are never aware of their dreams and are convinced that they don’t dream. Dreams are fascinating, regardless of how you experience them.
And yet science doesn’t completely understand dreaming quite; medical experts have made a number of discoveries about dreams over the decades. For instance, take these interesting facts about dreams:
- The average person forgets roughly 90% of their dreams. This happens within the first ten minutes.
- 12% of all the people in the world dream in black and white. These are people who are old enough to have seen television shows and movies in black and white.
- Most people do not realise that they have between 4 and 7 dreams per night. They think that their subconscious is visited by one serialised dream each night. But that is rarely the case.
- Dreams play out over the course of one to two hours.
- Women’s dreams are diverse. They feature as many men as women. 70% of the people in the average man’s dreams are men.
What you dream…
- Everyone dreams. People who think they don’t dream are simply forgetful.
- You can’t create new people in your dreams. You can only see faces that you have seen before in real life. If you think you saw a foreign face in your dreams, you probably just forgot the person in question. You see hundreds of faces in any given day. And you recall far more of them than you realise.
- If the question has ever occurred to you, there is a way to know for certain that you are dreaming. Try reading. Better yet, check the time. In dreams, reading or telling the time are all but impossible. If you find yourself incapable of reading, you are probably dreaming.
- If your dreams never make sense to you, that is actually normal. Your brain has a section that is responsible for making sense of things. It effectively shuts down while you dream. As such, most people’s dreams always look like random gibberish.
- Anxiety is the most common emotion that people feel when they dream. Generally speaking, negative emotions are more prevalent in dreams than positive ones.
- Men have more aggressive dreams. Women have more conversational dreams.
- Sexual dreams are real. Men can get multiple erections each night as a result of their dreams. However, so-called morning wood has nothing to do with sexual dreams.
- Women are not immune to sexual dreams. A woman can have an orgasm as a result of a dream.
- Even though they are mentioned frequently in conversations, sexual dreams are rare. They are not the common occurrence that some people presume.
dreamcatcher with feathers
- Blind people also experience dreams. However, those that were born blind do not have visual dreams. Instead, their dreams constitute the senses with which they are familiar such as smell and sound.
- There is evidence suggesting that animals dream.
- While people’s dreams are usually distinct, all human beings from all tribes, cultures, and walks of life dream about falling, being naked in public, and being chased, to mention but a few. These are universal dreams.
- No one knows why people dream or what purpose dreams serve.
Do you have any fun or interesting facts about dreaming we’ve not mentioned? Let us know in the comments section below!