Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 18 interesting facts about Manila!
- Manila is the capital city of the Philippines.
- Wondering how to say the name of this tropical city? It’s pronounced Ma-nil-ah.
- The total land area of Manila is 247 square miles (639 square kilometres)…
- …that’s slightly larger than Greater London.
- Manila’s population was 12,946,000 in 2015…
- …that’s around 2.6 million more than Greater London…
- …and gives it a population density of around 52,412 residents per square mile.
- Manila is located 53 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Manila are known as Filipinos.
- Filipinos living in Manila enjoy a tropical savanna climate with little temperature variation and an average annual temperature of 27.6°C. The coldest temperature ever recorded in Manila was 14.5°C on 11th January 1914!
- Looking to fly yourself to Manila? You’ll need the coordinates of 14.5800° N, 121.0000° E.
- Make sure you try a glass of Halo-halo if you’re in Manila; this deliciously cold drink made from shaved ice, condensed milk, sweetened beans, candied fruit, nata de coco, ube concentrate and leche flan will not only keep you cool and refreshed in the Filipino heat, it’ll also give you an insight into the local ingredients and culture.
- Did you know that Manila features several underground tunnels? These highly capacious tunnels are located around 3.5 metres below street level and are said to be big enough to house dumper trucks!
- Manila City Hall was designed to look like a shield of the Knights Templar when viewed from above – instead it has been said that it looks like a coffin – whoops!
- The official languages of Manila are Filipino and English.
- Philippine Peso is the official currency here.
- From 1762 until 1764 the British ruled Manila, before signing the Treaty of Paris and officially handing it back over to Spain.
- Philippines welcomed 4,681,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Manila for its gorgeous beaches, vibrant nightlife and incredible history.
Do you know any fun facts about Manila? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Related 'Asia' Facts