- Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908 by Anna Jarvis, who wanted to honour her mother with a memorial.
- She trademarked Mother’s Day and trademarked the Second Sunday of May.
- It became a national holiday in 1914 in USA
- Approx 112 million phone calls are made to Mums on this day, in the USA alone.
- In fact, more phone calls are made on Mothers Day, than any other day of the year.
- Sales for flowers increase by 40% on Mother’s Day.
- 69% of Brits have admitted to missing at least one Mother’s Day call while 20% have confessed to missing it more than five times.
- The youngest mother on record was Linda Medina; she was 5 years and 7 months old and delivered a 6 and 1/2 pound baby.
- While in India a woman called Satyabhama Mahapatra was the oldest woman to give birth naturally at the age of 65.
- August is the month when most babies are born.
- The highest recorded number of children born to one mother is a staggering 69.
- In most countries and languages, the word for mother begins with an M.
- The most common flower used on Mothers Day is the carnation.
- Mother’s Day is celebrated in over 50 countries across the world.
Do you know any fun, strange or interesting facts about Mother’s Day? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Days & Dates' Facts