Whether you’re a coffee lover or not, there are many unusual, surprising and interesting facts about coffee you can learn – here’s 11 interesting facts about coffee:
- The coffee bean originated from Ethiopia around 800 AD and is one of the worlds most traded commodities.
- Americans consume a staggering 400 million cups of coffee per day!
- And in 2018, the UK drank 95 million cups of coffee a day.. However, the Brits still manage 165 million cups of tea a day too!
- Step aside Jamaican Blue Mountain… Kopi Luwak is officially the most expensive coffee in the world – with prices ranging between $35 and $100 a cup! The surprising thing about this coffee is that the beans are first eaten, digested and then pooped by an Indonesian wildcat.
- Over the centuries, coffee has had its up and downs. It was banned in Mecca in the early 16th century because it was believed that coffee can stimulate radical thinking. Italian clerics tried to ban it that same century because they thought it was satanic but the attempt failed because coffee was loved by pope Clement VII so he removed the ban.
- In Turkey, coffee is now the national drink even though Ottoman emperor Murad IV punished people that drink it. Europe and Sweden also declared coffee making equipment as illegal between 1746 and 1777.
- When coffee was first discovered, the coffee cherries were ground and added to animal fats to make balls of the mixture which were eaten by Africans in the early years of its discovery. This mixture was seen as the first world snack and a proof that coffee does not only serve for drinking purposes.
- Some coffee producers sell caffeine to pharmaceutical companies to make soda after the coffee has been decaffeinated. With this, little is wasted.
- Although instant coffee has been in existence for about 250 years, the first mass production of coffee wasn’t until 1910.
- The worlds most prolific drinkers of coffee are the Finns. According to the International Coffee Organisation (ICO), they grind their way through 12kg per person per year.
- Invented in Italy in 1884, a single espresso shot is made with an average of 71 coffee beans.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about coffee you’d like to share here? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Food & Drink' Facts