Octopus have 8 legs, they swim, and they just look plain weird, surely there’s nothing else that can shock you about them? Think again folks… here’s 15 fun facts about octopus…
- They pick up coconut shells, climb into them, and run along the ocean floor using their tentacles as legs.
- They can smell through their tentacles.
- Octopuses are the most intelligent invertebrates.
- Their blood is blue, which is only the tip of the iceberg when you consider they also have 3 hearts!
- We lied, they don’t have tentacles, but they do have 8 arms!
- ‘Octopi’ is not the correct plural, that honour goes to ‘octopuses.’
- Two-thirds of their neurones are in their arms, which means they can act independently of one another without consulting the main brain.
- They can even continue to move after they’ve been cut off.
- Japanese culture has long celebrated them as animals of love.
- They can change colour just like a chameleon.
- They don’t just use their eyes to see, they can also see with their skin.
- It’s rich in the same light-sensitive proteins that their eyes use to detect light, colour, and even shapes.
- They tend to walk most places because their heart stops beating when they try to swim.
- Octopuses have no bones which means they can cram themselves into tiny containers like jars and coconut shells.
- The Dumbo Octopus gets its name from it’s giant ear-like paddles that sit on top of its head.
Do you know any interesting facts about the Octopus that we’ve missed? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Nature' Facts