Want to find out some interesting facts about El Salvador? Maybe a friend or loved one has immigrated and you’ve been left wondering about its local history and geographical facts? Take a look at these 21 interesting facts about El Salvador to brush up on your knowledge!
- El Salvador is a small country in Central America, on the coast of the Pacific Ocean.
- It is bordered by Guatemala to the northwest and Honduras to the northeast and east. It also has a coastline along the Pacific Ocean to the south.
- To head for the sun, sand and surf in El Salvador follow the coordinates 13.6667° N, 89.1667°
- The terrain here is mostly mountainous with a narrow coastal belt and a central plateau.
- El Salvador is home to some of the most active volcanoes in the world, giving it the nickname ‘Land of Volcanoes’!
Flag of El Salvador
- The total land area of El Salvador is 8,124 square miles (21,041 square kilometres), around twice the size of Yorkshire…
- …That makes it the smallest country in Central America!
- El Salvador’s population was 6.3 million in 2013…
- …That makes it the most densely populated country in Central America!
- Residents of El Salvador are known as ‘Salvadorians’.
- The capital, San Salvador, covers an area of 28 square miles (72 square kilometres) and had a population of 280,870 in 2014.
- The average life span here is 70 years.
- El Salvadorians enjoy a tropical climate on the coast, with a rainy season from May to October and a dry season from November to April, whilst further inland the climate is temperate.
- The official language of El Salvador is Spanish. Hola!
- The United States Dollar is the official currency here.
Comasagua, El Salvador
- El Salvador is hailed as one of the world’s best surfing destinations; its even hosted the World Surfing Championships in the past.
- It is customary for women in El Salvador to greet each other by exchanging a pat on the forearm or shoulder, rather than shaking hands.
- El Salvador grows coffee, sugarcane, corn and rice, rears cattle and catches shrimp… bet the coffee is nice!
- Its industry consists of tourism, food processing, beverages, chemicals and petroleum.
- El Salvador also exports offshore assembly exports, coffee, sugar, textiles, shrimp, chemicals and electricity.
- Before you grab your surfboard and head for the sunny shores of El Salvador, write down the international dialling code for your friends and family so that they can keep up to date with your adventures! It’s +503.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about El Salvador? Share them here in the comments section below!
Related 'Central America' Facts