24 Spectacular Facts About USA
If you have family or friends who live in the USA or if you’re looking to move here, take a look at these 24 interesting facts about the US and impress the locals with your quiz-busting knowledge!
- The USA is a large country consisting of 50 states in North America.
- It is bordered by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south.
- Whether you’re planning on becoming a cowboy in the mid-west or a New York urbanite, head for the coordinates 38.8833° N, 77.0167° W to find yourself in ‘The Land of Opportunity’.
- The terrain varies wildly throughout this huge country, with a vast central plain, mountains in the west, hills and low mountains in the east, rugged mountains and valleys in Alaska and volcanic topography in Hawaii.
- The total land area of USA is 3,794,083 square miles (9,826,630 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around half the size of Russia, or around 40 times the size of the UK!
- USA’s population was 321,368,864 in 2015…
- …that’s around 5 times the UK population!
- The capital is Washington D.C.; it covers an area of 68 square miles (177 square kilometres) and had a population of 4.9 million in 2015.
- Americans enjoy a mostly temperate climate, although Alaska is arctic, whilst Hawaii and Florida are tropical.
- Incredibly, Alaska has a larger coastline than all the other 49 states combined!
- Atlanta International Airport has been the busiest airport in the world every year since 2000, and last year processed around 20 million more passengers than Heathrow!
- The official language of USA is of course, English!
- Interestingly, the official state animal of California is the Grizzly Bear, although no Grizzlies have been spotted in California since 1922!
- As you may know, the official currency of the USA is the US Dollar.
- Apparently, 100 acres of pizza are served in the USA every day! That’s a lot of pizza…
- Americans live for an average of 80 years.
- Did you know, 1 in 8 American workers has been employed by McDonald’s?
- Amazingly, the Library of Congress is archiving every Twitter ‘tweet’ ever posted.
- Are you tired of staring at your computer? Well, the average American probably is because they spend more than 10 hours a day using an electronic device!
- USA grows fruits, wheat, corn and other grains; they also rear cattle, catch fish and produce forest products.
- Its industry consists of steel, car manufacturing, petroleum, telecommunications, aerospace, chemicals and electronics.
- USA exports cars, capital goods (products which are used to create other products), industrial supplies, consumer goods and agricultural products.