20 Most Interesting Facts about Mexico
- Mexico is the fifth largest country in the Americas and is bordered by the United States to the north, the Gulf of Mexico to the east, Belize and the Caribbean Sea to the south-east and the Pacific Ocean to the south and west.
- Its coordinates are 19.0000° N, 99.1333°
- It has a total area of 758,449 square miles (1,964,375 square kilometres).
- It’s made up of mountains, jungles and deserts so there’s sure to be something to do for everyone!
- Mexico’s population was 129.2 million in 2017.
- Mexico’s capital is Mexico City which has an area of 573.4 square miles (1485 square kilometres) and a population of 8.855 million (2015).
- The landscape here is diverse, consisting of jungles, deserts and mountains and is scattered with ancient ruins from both the Mayans and Aztecs.
- The average life span here is 77.12 years (2016).
- Mexico is home to the Quetzalcoatl Pyramid, the largest pyramid in the world!
- The currency here is the Mexican Peso.
Flag of Mexico
- Children in Mexico don’t receive presents on Christmas day; instead they are given out on January 6th to celebrate the arrival of the three kings.
- If you’re fascinated by history, make sure you visit some of the magnificent ancient ruins such as Teotihuacan (Aztec) and Chichen Itza (Mayan).
- Due to the fact it was built on a river, Mexico City is sinking at a rate of 15-20cm per year! In fact, over the 20th century it sank an incredible 9-11 metres!
- The border between Mexico and the USA is the most frequenty crossed international boundary in the world, with an estimated 350 million legal crossings every year!
- Mexico produces corn, wheat, soybeans, rice, wood products and beef…
- It has an industry that consists of tobacco, food and beverages, chemicals, iron and steel…
- Mexico exports oil and oil products, manufactured goods, silver, vegetables and fruits.
- Did you know that chocolate was discovered in Mexico? The word chocolate even comes from the language of the Aztecs!
- Amazingly, in Mexico you can pay your taxes with artwork! Now that sounds good – where did I put my paint brush…?
- Want to call your friends in Mexico? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +52.
Related 'Caribbean' Facts